Monday, February 29, 2016

Thoughts on a Name

My husband was just talking about the importance of a name in the Bible times. I had never thought of it before, but the Bible talks about giving glory to God's name. It seems strange to give honor to a name doesn't it? What it is saying actually is to give glory to the attributes for which God's name stands. Names stood for much more back then than they do today. Names were much more intentional during that time.

Last night in the evening service when my husband was preaching on Revelation 4 where the elders cast their crowns before the Lord. The crown here is not a royal crown that you might expect. It's called a Stephanos or a Victor's crown. This is the type of crown given to Olympic winners of the day.

Growing up, I knew what my name meant. Stephanie means "crowned one." Now I have come to know the real meaning. My name does not mean someone crowned with royalty. I used to be proud of my name meaning this thinking about how our roots go back in Wales with Princess Diana.

Now knowing that my name actually means "Victor's Crown" is so much more significant today in my life. The elders in the Bible are casting Victor's Crowns before the Lord. This means they were overcomers in their life here on earth. They were the ones who Paul was speaking of in Romans 8:35-37, but it includes all of us.
Romans 8:35-37
"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or perseution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him that loved us."

So if we go through life ending up being victors in the eyes of God, we will be in heaven someday perhaps wearing that Stephanos - Victor's crown. And we will want to give it back to Him, knowing that it is only by His grace that we made it, by His mercy, and He deserves the glory for it.

My name is Stephanie, and God can give me the victory everyday just like my name symbolizes. He can give you the victory too.


No comments:

Post a Comment