Friday, May 22, 2015

Back Seat Driving

I've often been guilty of back seat driving. Even if I used no words (which I usually do), the white knuckle grip and right foot on the imaginary brake said it all.

I also find that spiritually I'm a back seat driver.

God is the one who is driving our lives. He has the wheel, the brake, and the GPS. He is the one in control. So often though I sit in the back seat or passenger seat worrying about the job He is doing. Fretting about the things ahead or the problem that we "just" missed. Meditating on all of the things that are out of my hands.

Instead, I could be resting. In life, I've learned it is the better way. Let my husband drive, take care of the boys, and rest. With him, I also check once in a while to make sure he's not sleepy.

With God, we never need to check on Him. He does like us to talk to Him. We can share our concerns about the road ahead but then leave it with Him. He wants to do the driving. He is the one who has the best perspective. He is trustworthy.

Don't be a back seat driver in your spiritual life.

No comments:

Post a Comment