Friday, October 31, 2014

The Goodness of God When Life isn't Good

Today I watched a video about a young couple who were expecting a baby. They found out after several weeks that their son would most likely not live to full term due to a major heart condition. She mentions that she cried out to God to save her son. Soon after this, the ultrasound showed that the problem was gone, and their son was born healthy. The doctor's called it Divine Intervention. We would call it a miracle.

Much of the video reminded me of what we went through except that they never thought our son would die. They just knew he would need surgery on his heart. Anytime I watch a video like this, I can't help but ask "why?" It's not wrong to ask why. It's wonderful that their son was born healthy, but being human, and being in our situation, it's a question that comes to mind periodically.

I remember a time early in my pregnancy for Trenton where I too prayed a prayer to please save my child. It was very early, and I had symptoms of complications. I thought I had lost him. I prayed that prayer, and besides a normal complication that was more of a risk to me than him, everything was fine. Maybe that was one of my moments of Divine intervention. Perhaps God saved him then, but he was born with serious issues, is developmentally delayed, and he doesn't eat by mouth. God showed His intervention again in having me have that extra ultrasound at 32 weeks. Had in not been for that, Trenton may have had no blood running to his organs and body not long after birth. He might have died. That was a Divine intervention - miracle that we didn't know to pray for. Our son isn't a normal child, but looking at God and how He worked, we know God has a purpose.

It is so easy to call God good when the ending is the best case scenario. It is easy to say He is good when your baby is miraculously a new person. He is good in that, but He is also good in cases like ours where, "We know that all things work together for good to them that love God and to them that are called according to His purpose." That good is simply the good that makes God look good. The good that glorifies Him even when life doesn't look good. Because goodness is an attribute of God, nothing He does is anything but good. He doesn't cause the cancer, genetic mutations, and death. We live in a cursed world, and He allows these things, and as Job worshiped in the worst moment of His life, that is what God desires of us.


No comments:

Post a Comment