Monday, November 18, 2013

Depression - Fear - Anxiety

Depression, fear, and anxiety are three issues that affect most people today in some way. If you watch television or read a magazine, you will find your cure to these to be anti-depresssants or medicines to make the other medicines more effective. For those who are going through a hard time and have the feelings of depression, fear, and anxiety, the thought of having a quick-fix might be tempting.

As someone who has had friends struggle with these areas, people close to me, and even myself, I know there is no quick fix. In another blog, I discussed fear at length and how it can be overcome. It is not easy. Taking a pill every day might be a necessity at first, and in some cases it might be a necessity for longer. Every situation is different. There is only one true fix however for the feelings of depression, fear, and anxiety. Physical issues aside, the mental issue, the habit of thinking a certain way, can only be changed or helped with the Lord's help.

Someone suffering from a brain tumor, suicidal thoughts from a medication, or even someone with a meloncholy temperment can all be cured of the sinful aspect of depression, fear, and anxiety. In Philippians 4:6, the Bible says to not be anxious about anything. That is a command from God. His solution is prayer, supplication, and thanksgiving while asking God for help. He promises peace if we go to him in this way. Peace is the opposite of depression, fear, and anxiety. The knowledge of His present help in time of trouble, the knowledge of His presence results in not only a respectful fear of him, but a confident fear that He is in control over our every situation.

If you can consciously think about something, and find yourself thinking about it over and over in worry, then you are creating a habit that could change your mind in a way that is not positive. You can train your mind to think right, but you can also train your mind into believing things about yourself that God has never said. If you or even a child of yours suffers from obsessive compulsive behaviors, there is help in the Lord. It will not be easy. It takes work. A pill might help at first, but when it comes down to it, you have to just stop, and the Lord can give you the strength.

OCD tendencies can run in families I think. Perhaps it is from influence or even body make-up, but it happens. Sometimes kids who have special needs suffer from OCD behaviors. It's likely that Trenton will struggle with this. Anyone can struggle. It is how you handle the struggle that determines whether you will live a life of victory or a life filled with depression, fear, and anxiety.

You might wonder how you can help someone with a physical condition that actually causes the issues. There are obviously situations where someone has no mental understanding, that it would be impossible, but if there is understanding, it is possible. Changing the pattern of your thinking is not inherently spiritual, but I believe the without the help of Jesus Christ, it is impossible. In some cases they will still need medication, and there is often nothing we can do about that.

Since I know many people who use medication for help, this is not to offend them or try to stop them from what they are doing. It is just to create an awareness of what might be possible for them. I'm not a doctor. I don't know every medical illness that causes these symptoms, but I do know that we can learn to overcome wrong thinking with the help of the Lord. I know this from my own personal experience. I know the feeling of thinking something must be wrong with you because you just can't stop worrying. For me the solution was found in Philippians 4:6. Do not be anxious about anything. When I realized it was a command, it made it easier for me. For you it might take a different verse that will help. It is not easy. It is a fight.

As a mom of a child who will likely struggle with these issues down the road, I am preparing myself for his need to be medicated, but I have hope that he will have the understanding to be able to stop obsessive behaviors and be strong through Christ.

My reason for writing this today is because I needed it today. Depression over my son's issues, fear over the future, and anxiety over it all is a constant fight that must be fought. "But thanks be to God which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." I Corinthians 15:57

No comments:

Post a Comment