Monday, June 10, 2013

Humility in Hardship

“True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less.”    -C.S. Lewis

This past Sunday in the message, my husband brought up the subject of true humility and what it is. I felt it was a necessary topic for those of us with children who have special needs or for those who just need to have a different perspective.

When we go through a difficult time, ourselves or our situation is probably the major thing on our minds. I remember after we got home from the hospital when Trenton was discharged, and I went out for the first time. I felt like a cloud surrounded me. It was a cloud of sadness and discouragement. It was a cloud of self. It was a cloud that kept me from reaching out to others or even thinking of others at all.

Some people might say that I had a reason for being sad. Some might be in a similar situation and might feel that your sadness or self-pity is okay because you feel sorry for the one suffering - not just for yourself.

There is obviously a time for sadness. When you lose a loved one or give birth to a child with special needs, there will be a times of sadness or discouragement. Maybe I was still within the limits of the expected by human standards, but I'm not sure if I was by God's standard. He had afterall rescued my son from death through providential circumstances. He had miraculously brought him through sedation without a problem because of an accident by a nurse practitioner. He had done so many things. The last place my mind should have been was on myself or on Trenton's current health problems.

If you are in a difficult situation, you might need empathy, sympathy, and encouragement. We all have the desire for these things when going through a difficult time. It is tempting to talk about all of our problems in our blogs or facebook statuses with a desire to gain these things and not necessarily a desire to edify. I know I've been guilty of this.

It is hard to think right about difficult situations. The reality of hardship is that it is there for the glory of God. It is there ultimately so that God can turn your trial into a treasure. So that you can go from the depths of despair to the mountain height and be able to edify others. That is why we have trials. We have trials to give us patience (James). He says that the trying of our faith worketh patience.

Being humble in difficult circumstance is difficult, because most of us who are or have gone through difficult times, think of our situation every day, because we face it everyday. I know there is a way to think less of me and more of you. May each of us strive toward this goal - to glorify God in our circumstances and edify others.







No comments:

Post a Comment