Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The Good with the Bad

This morning I came to the realization that I need to take the good with the bad. I knew this already to some degree, but I think somehow I have been letting the bad things that happen with our situation affect the rest of the day. So on days like today when Trenton started his first feeding with gagging and spitting up, normally, it would give me that sense of dread that I mentioned in a previous post. It still did give me that feeling at the moment, but then I realized I have to just take both as they come.

It may be a day-to-day struggle to not let the bad things that happen poison my day. It is important though that I not let this happen. There are going to be little things that come up in any day, whether you have a child with special needs or not.

It is important to put into practice something that I focused on for quite some time in another blog: The Fear of the Lord. The fear of the Lord is many things, but one of the main things is that it is the awareness of Christ in every moment of our lives. I help my three year old overcome fear with the realization that Jesus is always with Him, yet it is so often to put it into practice as an adult. Maybe in my mind I think that his fears of monsters or whatever it may be pale in comparison to my fears. The reality is that they are probably just as real to both of us, and Christ is just as able to overcome mine as He is able to overcome my three year old's.

The fear of the Lord can enable us to accept the good and the bad that happens in a day because we know that He brings everything into our lives for a reason. If I let the negatives put me in the wrong frame of mind at the beginning of the day, then I will likely miss the good things He might have for me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment