Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Opaque Transparency

The phrase might seem like an oxymoron, but it is often our reality. So many of us go through life and appear fine, but on the inside, we know our struggles, fears, discouragment, etc. Opaque transparency is not a bad thing. It is actually the way we as Christians should probably handle difficulties. We should not walk around with our problems broadcasted like writing on a t-shirt.

As a parent of a child with special needs, there are often days when there is fear and discouragment below the surface, and I am not always great at keeping it there. It is important to have some type of outlet. I believe that the best outlet is our prayer to the Lord. He is the only one who can really make it better. We should also have someone else with whom we feel that we can share things. It is not that we should go to that person and constantly have a complaint on our lips, but it is nice to have someone with whom we can be transparent.

Public transparency at times is not a bad thing. There is a time and place for it. As a pastor's wife, I want to be transparent at certain times with the ladies in my church. They need to know that everyone has struggles and that just because I am the wife of a pastor does not mean that I do not have hard times or struggles. No one is above discouragement. It affects us all, and sometimes it creeps up when we least expect it. Letting others know that we know what they are going through, can be helpful.

We live in a fairly transparent world. I know I have been guilty of the TMI statuses on facebook. I have learned that some things can just be kept to myself. Facebook is a great tool if used correctly. I have used it as a tool numerous times to have hundreds of people praying for our little one. So many more prayers went up for him this year then probably ever would have before facebook. In the transparent world in which we live where everyone wears their feelings on their timeline, we need to strive to stay somewhat opaque while still being transparent enough to let others into our lives so that we can reach them and sometimes so that they can reach out to us.

It is a difficult balance. I suppose you might call it translucency if you really wanted to be scientific. Live with a filter. Live in such a way that others know that God is being glorified in your trials.

No comments:

Post a Comment